We started with buying 8, five square metre, continuous style sand filters and bringing them back to life after years of struggling with performance. We took note of identifying that the there was a requirements for screening the effluent before the filters due to previous blockages that occurred. The blockages came from various items of debris and large amounts of filamentous algae that have built up over time.
From this procedure we installed a 316SS dual mesh screen which took away the blockage issue. The engineers then found that two of the filters had already been damaged with broken internal distribution arms. These had actually been ripped from the main vertical inlet branch and upon close inspection we knew exactly what we had to do. The engineers then got to work fabricating special stainless steel gussets and supports in order for the confined space engineers to carry out the work needed to repair the damage inside the filters.
By carrying out these procedures we avoided large costs from off-site repairs which kept the client highly satisfied. On this project we also needed seven new air lift pumps, 50 tonnes of filter sand, repair of an existing compressor and a new compressor for completion.